Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Review: Life Together by Dietrich Bonhoeffer


The introduction is a short biography of Bonhoeffer’s amazing life. After reading it I’ve put Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy by Eric Metaxas on my “need to read” list. He truly was a remarkable man!

 
One of my favorite quotes from the book is from a section where Bonhoeffer’s discussing God’s plan versus the plans of men, and how when our plans don’t work out, we need to remember that God’s given us this precious gift of fellowship all over the world - that even when we don’t agree with one another, we’re still one family in Christ. A family who forgives, who doesn’t just walk away when things get rough. He states,


“Even when sin and misunderstanding burden the communal life, is not the sinning brother still a brother, with whom I, too, stand under the Word of Christ? Will not his sin be a constant occasion for me to give thanks that both of us may live in the forgiving love of God in Jesus Christ? Thus the very hour of disillusionment with my brother becomes incomparably salutary, because it is thoroughly teaches me that neither of us can ever live by our own words and deeds, but only by that one Word and Deed which really binds us together - the forgiveness of sins in Jesus Christ.” (pg. 28, emphasis mine)


What powerful words. This book has really changed how I view fellow Christians, especially those who I don’t necessarily see eye to eye with. I pray that it may do the same for all who choose to read it. Thanks be to God for sending these inspiring words!

No comments:

Post a Comment